The AeroPress coffee maker has taken the world by storm over the last few years and it’s easy to see why. You can control all aspects of the coffee making process from the level of grind (okay, so it starts with the grinder), the water temperature, the bloom time, the brew time and so on. This allows you to find the combination of variables that produces a coffee to your taste, and to vary the process for different types of coffee bean.
The AeroPress is also strong and lightweight – a great travelling companion for those reasons and the perfect match for Porlex grinders that are also great for travel. So what are some of the specifics that make the AeroPress so good?
- The AeroPress allows for ‘total immersion brewing’, meaning flavour is extracted evenly from your coffee grounds.
The filter removes all grit and sludge so even the last drops in your cup are cleeean and smooth. Mmm.
- The whole process takes 2 minutes at most, depending on your technique, so you get your coffee fast with no over-extraction and low acidity (nice on the taste buds and nice on your tummy). 2 minutes assumes the coffee has been ground already 🙂
- You can take the AeroPress anywhere. Take it to work and drink in for a change. Take it to the bush, to the river, to the snow, to Whitehaven Beach. For hikers and backpackers, the chamber, plunger, filter cap and paper filters—the real essentials—only weigh about 200g.
- Your AeroPress creates minimal waste. The coffee grounds and filters are compostable, and once the AeroPress reaches the end of its life, the durable plastic parts can be recycled (although we haven’t had to do this yet!). As for the manufacturing process, all black plastic components are injection moulded, minimising wasteful off-cuts.
- The design simplicity is just beautiful. No moving parts, no complicated parts to clean, no breakable glass, no rustable metal.
- All the AeroPress components are made of polypropylene except for the rubber seal which is made of thermoplastic elastomer. Both of these materials have been approved by the FDA for use with food and neither material contains bisphenol-A (BPA) or any phthalates. Drink coffee from AeroPress with complete confidence.
- If you’re the kind of person who’s great at losing things, your AeroPress parts can be replaced individually. Click here for more info.
- Make sure to store your AeroPress with the filter basket removed and the plunger pushed all the way through the chamber. This means the rubber seal is not compressed during storage, ensuring a long life for your seal.